First and foremost, this blog is for those who want to live or are living dairy-free, but like I’ve said in other posts, I don’t want to limit my content so that those with other allergies can’t enjoy the recipes I post. Whether you’re vegan, allergic to eggs, or just looking to be a little healthier, here are some great alternatives you can substitute for eggs in baking. Each one listed equals one egg:
- ¼ cup banana
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water
- ¼ cup applesauce (some people add 1 tsp baking powder as well)
- ¼ cup soy yogurt
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (use this as a last resort; fruit is a lot better!)
- ¼ cup silken tofu, blended
- Ener-G egg replacer – I’ve never tried this, so if you have, please let me know how you like it
What I usually use if I’m substituting an egg is some kind of fruit that would make sense with what I’m making (you can see the Holiday Loaves post for some examples). Canned pumpkin and applesauce are great all-purpose replacements that tend to blend well into anything you’re making.
If you’re cooking, other substitutes like bread crumbs, cooked rice, mashed potatoes, or tomato paste can help in binding things together. Again, just use what matches the recipe the best.
Which egg substitutes are your favorites? Comment below!