Once in a while, you find out about a food trick that’s a total gamechanger. Food hacks have been showing up more frequently on websites like Buzzfeed, helping us all realize an easy trick that we should have found out years ago, much to our dismay.
This past weekend, I learned how to peel peaches in no time flat.
The trick is to blanch the peaches. Here’s what you need to do:
- Boil water in a preserving pan, Dutch oven, or other large pot
- Wash off your peaches while the water is boiling
- Put 4-6 peaches in the pot for 1 minute
- Take peaches out and put into ice cold water (ice cubes help) for about 1 minute
- Delight in the peeling ease
That’s it, really. This will save you so much time, especially if you have a lot of peaches to process, like I did. I blanched and peeled over 50 peaches this past weekend and made peach salsa, peach preserves, and peaches in vanilla syrup, recipes that all came from the book Canning for a New Generation. This works best with ripe peaches, so if they seem a little stubborn, they’re probably not ripe enough yet.
Now, go out and impress your friends with your new-found food hack skills.