Updated: March 28, 2020 – Thank you to everyone who has submitted ideas to be included in this list. Keep it coming!
These are crazy times we’re living in. You may be on an emotional and financial roller coaster right now, and that’s understandable. So many people all over the world are dealing with changes in their jobs, health, freedom, and social interaction. While there isn’t much I can do about it, I figured there was one thing I could do – compile a list of every free thing you may want to take advantage of while you’re stuck in your house doing your part to lessen the blow of a pandemic. (Good job, you!)
Some of these will be available after everything (hopefully) blows over. Some are a limited time offer. If there is a deadline on some, I have listed what that deadline is as of the time of publishing. I will try to keep this updated as much as possible. Anyone who has any other ideas, please let me know! Comment on this blog or email email@example.com, and I’ll add them.
- Nike NTC Premium is free until further notice
- Gold’s AMP – free through May 31
- Anytime Fitness
- Peloton – Now offering a 90-day trial, which will hopefully get us all over this hump
- YMCA 360 – No charge for a limited time
- Planet Fitness – livestreams workout programs on Facebook
- Corepower Yoga – members are getting unlimited free classes right now while their memberships are frozen, but you can also check out their selection of free classes for everyone
- Tone it Up – New members can get free classes for the next month(ish, depending on when you see this post)
- YogaWorks – Live streams of yoga and pilates
- 305 Fitness – For people who like dance workouts on YouTube
- Walk at Home By Leslie Sansone – No lie, when the weather is lousy, I do these workouts
- JessicaSmithTV – For people who like walking with pups!
- DailyBurn – Now offering a free 60-day trial
- OrangeTheory – Offering 30-minute at-home workouts that require no additional equipment
- FHitting Room – Free 30-day trial to their popular HIIT classes
- 305 Fitness – Dance Cardio Parties, available live!
- Life Time – New on-demand questions are being added daily, available for everyone!
- Blink Fitness – Facebook Live videos available every weekday at 8 a.m. ET
Software – free trials
- A list of collaboration tools for free
- This amazing list by BleepingComputer.com has the most comprehensive list I’ve found so far. A few of the biggest (so you know it’s worth clicking over to read): Zoom, Rosetta Stone free student access, Loom video messaging, Cloudflare for Teams, and so very many more.
- Zencastr – a podcasting recording software, offering unlimited guests & recording time during the outbreak
Libraries / free books
- 300,000 Free Books from the New York Public Library (for New York residents)
- Manybooks – 100% free eBooks – over 50,000 titles
- Penguin Random House Audio – Great Expectations, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and Grimm’s Fairy Tales available as free audiobooks between March 20 – April 30, 2020
- Libby App – Free audiobooks and eBooks available through many local libraries
- Spotify – Offers some free audiobooks to listen to, in addition to podcasts and the music you love
- Archipelago Books – 30 books free from March 19 – April 2
- Librivox – Free audiobook versions of public domain books. They also look for volunteers to read books, if you’re really looking to kill some time and have a good microphone!
- International Children’s Digital Library
- Scribd – 30-day free trial for eBooks
- Audible – Audible is offering free children’s stories for as long as schools are closed. I have been an Audible member for 10 years, and this is the best news I’ve ever gotten from them! And I get a lot of 2-for-1 deals 😉
- Project Gutenberg – Free eBooks
- Free Booksy – They scour for free books so you don’t have to!
- Comixology – Free comics!! Right now it’s free for 60 days
- JSTOR – The organization is offering access to unlicensed collections to certain academic institutions, 35,000 free eBooks available with a request form, as well as 26 Public Health journal archives, free to all. All of these offers will be good through June 30, 2020.
Assorted Free Media
- Archive.org – A veritable treasure trove of free movies, books, software, music, you name it.
- GOG.com – Free video games as part of their “stay at home” promotion
- Gameloft – A series of classic games are available in a compilation app
Movies / TV
- Tubi – I mean, Good Burger is available. I don’t need to say more.
- Maverick full-length free movies on YouTube
- Amazon Prime Video – Free Kids’ Programming
- Acorn TV – If you sign up through Amazon, you can get a 30-day free trial right now
- Pluto TV – Free TV & movies all the time
- Quibi – A new platform that appears to be all about short episodes. You can get 90 free days with a trial – launching April 6!
- Roku – Premium streaming is now free for 30 days, including Showtime and Epix
Classes / Lessons
- Zero to Mastery – This one’s a big one, and applications close April 10. If you lost your job due to COVID-19, you can apply to get 6 months of coding training for FREE.
- 10 University Art Classes You Can Take For Free Online
- 1,500 Free Classes via Open Culture
- EdX – 2,500+ online courses available
- Skillshare – While there is a paid version, Skillshare also has free classes available
- 45 Classes to Take from The Muse
- Coursera Free Courses
- Codecademy – Seriously great free coding courses
- Fender Play – It appears that Fender always has free trials for lessons (guitar, bass, and ukulele), but if you visit the site now, you’ll get a pop-up for 3 months of free lessons! Plenty of time to learn a few songs while cooped up.
- Milwaukee Community Map – For my locals, or folks interested in Milwaukee. Download this map to view all kinds of community & water stories by toggling on and off layers. It’s a downloadable museum that will interest anyone in your household!
Delivery / Food Services
- Good Housekeeping – A list of free food available for healthcare workers and hospital staff and other deals for everyone
- KFC – Free delivery through April 26
- Outback Steakhouse -Free delivery through April 30
- Chipotle – Free delivery through March 31
- Noodles – Free delivery through March 31
- Pieology – Free delivery through March 31
- Potbelly – Free delivery on orders $10 or more
- Buca di Beppo – Free delivery until question mark!
- Burger King – Free delivery on orders over $10. Have you tried the Impossible Whopper? I’m obsessed. I saw somewhere through March 29 but the website doesn’t say right now, so maybe it will get extended?
- Chili’s – Free delivery for $15 minimum orders
- P.F. Chang’s – Free delivery on orders $25 or more
- Starbucks – First responders and healthcare workers get free coffee (as they should!)
- Postmates – $100 in delivery credit for new customers
- UberEats – Currently offering $0 delivery when you order from any local restaurant as a show of community support
- DoorDash – Many options are available for free delivery all the time!
- GrubHub – While GrubHub doesn’t seem to be offering anything free, I had to put it on here, because they are collecting change for the Community Relief Fund, which is going to local restaurants and drivers during this time